Wondering What To Do After A Car Accident In California?
Car accidents can be traumatic, frightening experiences for your entire family. Immediately following a collision with another car, truck or motorcycle, you may feel unsure what to do next. Knowing what to do after a car accident can make a tremendous difference in your ability to cope with resulting losses.
Immediately After An Accident You Should…
Your first priority is your safety and that of your loved ones. You should:
- Move out of traffic if and when it is safe to do so and turn off your vehicle.
- Assist anybody who needs medical attention and call 911 if necessary.
- Allow medical personnel to provide an assessment to determine if you have been injured.
- Contact the police to file a police report.
- Do not apologize or claim fault, even if you believe that you may be responsible for the accident. Saying “sorry” could be interpreted as an admission of fault and make you liable for paying damages.
- Gather important details, including the name, contact information, insurance information and driver’s license number of the other driver.
- Write down a description of the vehicles involved, including the license plate numbers.
- Take photos related to the accident.
Receive The Care You Need
Be sure to keep track of any medical bills incurred as a result of your injury. These can be used by our team to produce a sum of your damages. Important documentation includes notes from any medical professionals such as general practitioners, chiropractors and physical therapists.
Although medical expenses can be simple to prove, there are some intangible damages that are more difficult to establish. To help our legal team analyze how your injury affects your overall quality of life, keep a journal of how the injury affects you during your day-to-day routine.
Seek Guidance From A Lawyer
Unfortunately, insurance companies are more concerned with their own financial interests than yours. They will usually try to offer you the lowest possible settlement.
To ensure that you receive the maximum compensation to which you are entitled, you should contact a personal injury lawyer.
Attorney Scott Sumner can help prove liability, determine the full extent of your injuries and other losses, and reach a resolution that serves your best interests. He has recovered millions on behalf of his clients during his 25 years as a personal injury lawyer.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, hiring a personal injury attorney is the surest way to collect the compensation you truly deserve.
Schedule A Free Consultation
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, hiring a personal injury attorney is the surest way to collect the compensation you truly deserve. Schedule your free consultation with Scott Sumner today by calling us at 925-278-6170 or contacting us online.
Our firm in Walnut Creek, California, supports clients on a contingency basis, allowing you to focus on your care while we work on your case.