A Defective Medical Device Lawyer Can Help You Receive Compensation for Your Injury
Throughout California and across the United States, patients routinely suffer injuries on account of defective medical devices. If you have been injured by a faulty medical device, you may be able to hold the manufacturer, distributor, medical provider, or another party responsible for losses resulting from your injury. Scott Sumner is a defective medical device lawyer in Walnut Creek, CA, who has helped victims for more than 25 years. He understands what it takes to help victims collect the compensation they deserve. Mr. Sumner welcomes clients throughout Concord and San Ramon.
Types of Defective Medical Devices
Medical devices are categorized as devices that a medical practitioner may use to treat an illness, injury, disease, or disability. Many people have used a medical device to improve their health, only to suffer an injury. Some examples of medical devices that can cause injuries include:
- Implantable Defibrillators – These small electronic devices are implanted in the patient’s heart. They deliver electric pulses to maintain a stable heart rhythm.
- Implants – These synthetic devices are implanted in the patient to restore function to a disabled body part.
- Stents – Stents are tubes that a doctor will insert into the patient’s artery to prevent blockages.
- Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) - These contraceptive devices are inserted into the patient’s uterus to prevent pregnancy.
A defective medical device lawyer will evaluate the circumstances of your injury to determine who is at fault.
How to Determine If You Have a Defective Medical Device Case
A defective medical device lawyer will evaluate the circumstances of your injury to determine who is at fault. From there, he or she can file one of three types of defective product liability claims:
- Defectively Manufactured Medical Device Claims – These claims involve medical devices that were improperly manufactured. This can happen on account of a manufacturing error, shipping error, or any other error that takes place between production and delivery of the device.
- Defectively Designed Medical Device Claims – Devices that are properly manufactured but have a dangerous design fall into this category. If the plaintiff can prove that the manufacturer was aware of a danger and either concealed it or delayed taking the device off the market, the victim may be able to secure additional compensation in the form of punitive damages.
- Defectively Marketed Medical Device Claims – Sometimes manufacturers fail to provide accurate and adequate safety warnings. Other times, they fail to provide instructions for safe use. In either case, the victim can pursue compensation for his or her injury.
The Importance of Hiring a Defective Medical Device Lawyer
While manufacturers have a legal obligation to ensure their products are safe, they are not the only ones who may be liable in a defective product liability claim. Other parties that may share responsibility include medical sales representatives, testing laboratories, clinicians, hospitals, and retail suppliers. In addition to identifying all parties responsible for your injury, a defective medical device lawyer can maximize the compensation you receive for your medical bills, emotional distress, lost wages, and other losses.
Contact a Defective Medical Device Lawyer
Defective medical device attorney Scott Sumner has secured millions of dollars in compensation for injury victims. If you have been injured by a faulty medical device, you may be eligible to receive significant compensation. Find out now – contact us at (925) 278-6170 or send us a message online to schedule your free initial consultation.